Monday, April 22, 2013

This is what makes Exchange unforgettable!

I hope you are sitting in a comfortable chair because it is time for some March updates and reflections, and there is much to say.

The first week after Semana Blanca was long and so was the second, but we made up for it on the weekends hanging out and having a good time.  My family and I packed off to Antequera the first weekend, and the second was graced with Vanessa's presence, but the real fun was yet to come.  



My family headed off to America to see Angela, and also visit Chicago and New York.  It felt strange to see them walk out the door, and as I closed it behind them I had the opportunity to contemplate two things that have become very evident to me.  I am not very good at staying put, and I wish the Atlantic was smaller.  

The first one is not very shocking; anyone who has ever seriously asked me anything about my past, present, or future could easily gather that waiting patiently is not my strong suit.  From my tentative career path, to my extra curricular activities, to the posters on my wall it becomes quickly evident that I have never intended to sit and wait for the world to come to me, that would be conceited.  My goodbyes are awkward and sometimes nonexistent, and as my dad waited for the elevator I couldn't hardly manage to say "you too" in response to his "Have a good time."   



It was the first time I had ever really seen people that I had loved and lived with pack up and leave, even if it was just for 10 days.   As the door shut and I returned to my coffee I was faced with a looming question, was I afraid of being alone?  The answer was immediate, of course not; I thrive on it,  even considering that notion was laughable.  The truth is that I know the risks I run living my life like I do, forming the relationships, knowing the people, leaving bits of myself in places around the globe and I know that I have a lot to lose.  Its not everyday though that they stare me right in the face though, and it was good to get a wakeup call and a new perspective on things.

Exchange gives you all kinds of life lessons from knowing who you are to how to navigate public transportation systems.  It also leaves you with a distinct sense that the world is unfathomably huge and filled with secrets that must be discovered; while at the same time small because we are all the same on the inside and how can you be so far aways from family and places that are so familiar to you.  

With those thoughts in hand I headed off to school, and on the way thought of all the amazing things I have gotten to see over the years and the amazing people who have helped me get to where I am.  Thank you all.

Antonio Banderas at el Ejercito's
demonstration Semana santa 
Then things got interesting.  Met up with CJ and headed off to Marbella in a downpour.  The festivities were kicked of Palm Sunday with a beautiful service in Marbella's biggest church.  Vanessa and I met up with her host grandmother and afterwards spent the next day and a half under the weather at Nina's.

On Wednesday I finally got to see what Semana Santa is all about.  My cousin and I headed out with her friends to get a good view of the processions.  After some waiting and a beautiful sunset I caught my first glance, and it was astounding.  Tronos, or huge decorated statues of Mary and Jesus covered with lowers and reliefs of precious metals, weighing tons, and carried by hundreds of men lit up the dark streets with nothing more than candles.  Music filled the ears of the quiet crown as marching bands and penitents (that dress like, but have no relation to the KKK) accompanied the Tronos around the center of Malaga.  I was completely in awe at the beauty of it all, and the general spirit of the city.  There were 8 or so different processions every night until Friday, and the streets of Malaga were packed with people to
the point where it was difficult to move.  

Easter we spent back in Marbella American style.  Vanessa and I made ham, quiche, cinnamon rolls, cheesecake, oatmeal rolls, and other staples and ate to our hearts content before we headed back to our real world life.  My parents also returned from their trip and reported that they had a fantastic time seeing everything, and that Angela is doing very well.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to spend in Cordoba at the district conference with all of the exchange students in Andalucia.  We had a great time and got to see a little of the city.  As ever I was struck by the history of the place.  As we we were standing in the conference center in between speakers chatting to one of the Rotarians he turned and said "Did you know this is where Isabel of Castille signed the papers to send Columbus to discover your country?"  I didn't know how to respond for a moment and just stood there thinking of the building that had only a moment earlier been a pretty somewhat old building in my head as a major Historic landmark.

The Roman Bridge Cordoba
Now my school is gearing for los Festivos Patronales which I am honestly pretty excited for.  The warm winds from the south are starting to bring us fully into the spring season( I am trying not to think of how hot it will be in the summer.)  Everything here in Malaga is coming to life with the arrival of the good weather and the tourists and it is just fun to sit back and relax as everything comes together.  

La Mezquita Cordoba
La Mezquita Cordoba









No comments:

Post a Comment